Pages

Friday 3 June 2011

Some Days are Darker than Others

I love writing, as I'm sure we all do. But there's some days when my eyes just won't focus on the screen (or paper or whatever), when my synapses won't fire properly and I just cannot find the energy to write.

Life has a way of getting me down on occasion, what with 9-5 (or rather 8-9, if we're being honest) jobs, stressfull business trips with mind-numbing layovers in weirdly homogenous airports in the middle of nowhere, standard contracts that may or may not have hidden clauses you need to figure out (or add, as the case may be) (what, so I'm a lawyer - everyone needs a day-job, even if it's a bloodsuckery one), collegues who text/call/email with stupid questions and bosses who want everything done yesterday, please (while still having sufficient billable hours, of course).

Don't even get me started on family weekends (parents and siblings, not my own family - living the single life, here).

Writing with a day job is exhausting sometimes.

Any tips on how to get my writing spirits up? I've joined Sasha's blogfest (see sidebar) for some inspiration... but I could probably do with another hint or two on getting over the slump.

4 comments:

  1. how about "be patient with yourself," or "trying to force a story when your mind and body are tired makes for a forced story." i understand not being able to write, even though you want to. i'm in the middle of a stressful time as we get our house ready to sell. i've had to let my writing go because my creative mind can't function with all the lists and things that have to get done. it's been freeing and frustrating at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Tristan, Go Tristan! *waves pompoms*

    You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slumps are hard- go out an experience some things- take walks in parks, go swimming with friends. Life tends to actually help with some writing slumps. Hi BTW new follower here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Summer! Nice to meet you. Thanks for the follow, and the advice. I have, in fact, just come back from a day at the lake with my friends (I do believe I got a bit of a tan...go me).

    ReplyDelete